Sam and Karina Seljak are two sisters who imagine a world without waste. They are finding new ways of making and using beautiful things that are regenerative by design.
Together they launched the Seljak Brand in March 2016 and have since worked towards accelerating the transition towards a more circular economy. They work with Australia’s oldest mill in Tasmania, the Waverley Woollen Mills and a 92-year-old weaving mill in Lithuania to weave recycled wool blankets that are closed loop.
Since 2016 the Seljak Brand:
- has diverted 3,810kgof textiles waste from landfill
- has donated 284 blanketsto the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre in Melbourne
- has highlighted to numerousAustralians closed loop business practices thanks to the press the brand has received
- has crowdfundedto help fund the research and development of using other businesses' textile waste to make more blankets
- been awardedfunding from Macquarie Group to continue development of textiles waste to resource products.
- been awarded The Design Files' Sustainability Design Awardin 2019.